Situated at the door of the Kornati islands (Murter inhabitants are their main owners), Murter is a very attractive nautical spot and, at the same time, it attracts all lovers of a peaceful vacation. The beginnings of tourism reach up to the 30`s of the last century, when a Check villa was built in the Slanica bay. Today this villa is Labour unions' resort.
Murter offers various accommodation and holiday rentals (hotels, apartments, marina Hramina), nice and quiet beaches, numerous restaurants and inns. However, no tourist will leave without visiting the Kornati islands during one of regularly organized excursions. Murter abounds in sports grounds (tennis, basketball, football) and it also offers the possibility of water sports. In the summer season various sports competitions take place here and they are introduced by the Murter-Kornati April regatta. Traditional festivities are: St. Roko (16th August), Murter festivity of Mala gospa (Nativity of the Virgin Mary -8th September). When speaking of cultural events, the Festival of drama amateurs is of significant importance (in May).
Murter, a place in the northern part of the island with the same name, was primarily called Veliko Selo (Big Village - from the 13th ct) and afterwards Srimać. It got its present name in 1715. It spreads towards the Hramina bay, where there is a marina, and then further on to the Slanica Bay. The Hramina Bay is protected from all winds and it is a good shelter for small yachts; in the Slanica Bay there is a swimming beach and the hotel complex Collentum. The economic base is represented by agriculture, wine-growing, fishing and tourism. Murter is placed on the regional road. It was mentioned in 15th ct for the first time. At the bottom of the Gradina hill, in the Hramina bay and elsewhere there are some remnants of Roman buildings which are probably the remains of the antique settlement Collentum. At the Gradina cope there is a local graveyard where some old Croatian graves were discovered. On the graveyard there is the church of Gospa in Gradina from the 17th ct. The parish St. Mihovil`s church (St. Michael`s church) has a baroque alter, the work of Pio and Vick dall`Acqua, and it also has one icon of Crete-Venetian school. In the vestry there is a Gothic-Reneissance procession cross and some valuable pictures. Above the village, on the Vršina hill, there is the St. Rock`s church from 1760.